Tuesday 15 November 2011

Free prize draw: Friend up for grabs


Lucky you!  You've won a free draw into the Friendship Lottery and you could win one of the friends below:

Friend One: Takes time out of her day to ask how you are and really listens to the answer.  Tells you you look good.  Makes you laugh.  Gives you a hug.  Looks out for your best interests.  Is willing to put you first.  Celebrates your successes and encourages your talents.  Helps you to see your true qualities.

Friend Two: Starts the day by criticising your outfit.  Tells you you really ought to get back into your swimming/yoga regime.  Hasn't the time in the day to look out for you - you're firmly last on the list.  Reminds you of your flaws.  Overlooks your talents.  Pushes you to do whats expected rather than listen to what your really want.

Ok, I'll give you a little time to think about it.  Hard decision?  Well, I have news - they're both me.  I was Friend One and Two yesterday. 

I was lucky enough to spend time with one of my girlfriends yesterday evening and was the friend I strive to be - supportive and game for a laugh.  Friend One.  I don't always get it right but I'd like to think that I make the effort to be 99% there.

Then there's Friend Two.  I was lying awake in bed with my mind racing through the day that had been and I realised - I'd given myself nothing but a hard time all day.  I have eldest child syndrome, a typical Type A, so I'm always going to be driven and push myself, but I realised this had gone into overdrive lately and, quite frankly, I'd been a rotten friend to myself.

So this week I'm going to be a little kinder to myself, a bit more easy going and, in my mum's words: "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Image: One

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you ....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...