Wednesday 30 March 2011

{Take action} Get yourself connected


I was stopped and asked for change for a parking meter yesterday and, as this stranger and I exchanged grubby coins, we got chatting. It was only a few minutes but enough for me to find this person likeable - in short, we made a connection. Her parting words to me were "I'm so glad you came walking by" - feel-good factor!

It got me thinking. I walk that same street almost daily on my way into the city and don't think I've ever, in my five years of living here, spoken with a complete stranger on that route. Or in the lift of my apartment building. Or my local shop ..... you get the picture, right!?

My friend Rachel is an expert in 'connecting'. She met her future husband, me and probably countless others by taking the risk to get talking to someone new. Of course it helps that Rach is bubbly, confident and has an infectious energy so she's exactly the type of person you'd want to get chatting to but, you've got to hand it to the girl, she puts herself out there. And as I stand beside her as her bridesmaid on her wedding day, I'll be grateful that she did just that more than 14 years ago. So let's get connecting, people - you never know who that stranger might become!



What's your story? Have you had a chance encounter that changed your life?  Please share it.


Photos: Courtesy of Lake Jane and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you ....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...